The Rural Schools Collaborative is pleased to continue our good partnership with Minnesota's West Central Initiative, which will provide targeted funding for Grants in Place projects in west central Minnesota during the 2018-19 school year. The West Central Initiative (WCI) is a regional community foundation that serves nine counties in west central Minnesota: Becker, Clay, Douglas, Grant, Otter Tail, Pope, Stevens, Traverse and Wilkin. Applicants must teach in one of these counties.
The Rural Schools Collaborative’s Grants in Place program is a modest grant program that encourages rural school district teachers to engage their students in place-based learning.
We anticipate funding ten to twelve projects in the WCI region.
Grants in Place applications should not exceed 300 words and will include the following information:
- Answer all the application questions, completely.
- Provide an adequate description of the project in 300 words or less.
- Local matching support is viewed favorably.
- Describe how the funds will be used in the project.
- Project must include some level of community engagement.
- The project must address a curricular outcome.
- The project should be student driven.
- Describe what tangible public outcome will be achieved.
- Typical grant awards range from $500 to $1,000.
Applications are due by April 23, 2018 for projects taking place in the 2018-19 school year. Grant making decisions will be made as quickly as possible. Selected projects will receive funding in mid-August 2018 after verification of project intent and teacher coordination.